The exact construction date is disputed — sources give 1437, a period after 1460, or generally before 1473. Around 1500 the house was rebuilt; in the mid-18th century a fourth storey was added, and a fifth in 1815.
Before the war a pharmacy operated on the ground floor, documented in photographs from 1913–1915 and 1938. Destroyed in 1944 down to the cellars and fragments of the ground floor; rebuilt in 1952–1953 by Jan Bieńkowski based on earlier inventories.
The names 'Markiewiczowska' and 'Godswillera' come from successive owners; the house is also called Swignowska and Malkowska.
Listen
Listen to this entry.
Voice: Alloy (EN)
- Look for the snake coiled around a cup above the pharmacy entrance and the frieze with putti above the ground floor.